War Stories 6

Enjoy the stories in this section. Some of them may even have been true!! Have a favorite war story you've been relating over the years? Well sit down and shoot us a draft of it. Don't worry, we'll do our best to correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling before we publish it. to us and we'll publish them for all to enjoy.

horizontal line

Just a Normal Seven-Hour Day


By Eldon Ideus

A mission request for aerial medical evacuation of an unknown number of wounded in action (WIA) casualties from the element of C1/8 Cavalry (CAV), was received by Medical- Evacuation (Med-Evac) Alpha during mid-afternoon.

Med-Evac aircraft #370, with a crew consisting of aircraft commander, Eldon Ideus, pilot Warrant Officer Larry Hatch, medic SP5 Van Camp, crew chief SP4 Eck, and door gunner SP4 Leuche was dispatched to the area. En route, contact was made with C1/12 CAV and was informed that there was negative enemy contact at the time and that the last enemy fire was received from the North of their position. The ground unit ignited a smoke grenade which the Med-Evac aircraft pilots identified the color of smoke and then proceeded to the area to evacuate four (4) WIA casualties. While on the ground, a sergeant came to the aircraft and further informed the aircraft commander of the enemy situation and also asked him to contact A1/12 CAV on lift-off because they had another mission request. After the four (4) casualties were aboard, they departed and contacted A1/12 CAV who requested the evacuation of two (2) seriously wounded soldiers. Med-Evac aircraft #370 flew across the Suei Cay Valley toward their position and spotted the small landing zone (LZ). The aircraft commander informed the ground unit that the LZ was too small for his aircraft to land with the present load of personnel onboard and would call another Med-Evac for the mission. The ground unit told him that the wounded were in very serious condition and couldn’t wait long. They also asked him to try the evacuation now rather than wait for another Med-Evac aircraft. The aircraft commander decided that he would make an attempt to evacuate the two (2) casualties. The ground unit reported sporadic enemy gun fire in the LZ but that no fire was being received at the present time.

The aircraft commander hovered his aircraft over the area and descended vertically down through 40 foot high palm trees and landed in the LZ. The aircraft’s medic jumped from the aircraft and loaded the two (2) casualties with the assistance of one of the ground troops. The aircraft’s door gunner and crew chief were poised to provide suppressive fire from their door mounted .30 caliber machine guns if required. The aircraft came under enemy fire just as the last wounded solider was being loaded. The aircraft commander was hovering the aircraft vertically out of the LZ when the medic informed him that the ground troops who had assisted in loading the wounded were taking enemy fire and were wounded themselves. The aircraft commander contacted Med-Evac #577 and informed them of the situation.

Returning to LZ Hammond, the wounded were unloaded at Alpha medical company clearing hospital. Med-Evac #370 departed LZ Hammond to respond to another request for evacuation of two (2) Viet Cong (VCs) from a unit near the coast. En route to the location, a mayday call was received that Med-Evac #577 had been shot down and needed assistance. The aircraft commander cancelled the evacuation of the two (2) VCs and headed for the location of the downed aircraft. Enroute, he contacted Alpha at LZ Hammond to send another Med-Evac aircraft to assist. Med-Evac #370 arrived at the location, landed and loaded up the four (4) downed aircraft crew plus the five (5) wounded they had on-board. Med-Evac #791 who was en route was informed that everyone from the downed aircraft had been evacuated and that their assistance was required to evacuate wounded from A1/12 and C1/12 CAV. They were also informed to be aware of the enemy gun fire #370 had encountered earlier. Med-Evac #370 returned to LZ Hammond and off-loaded their wounded. The aircraft was re-fueled and departed for the Suei Cay Valley. Enroute, they received a radio call from Med-Evac #791 stating that they had received heavy automatic weapons fire while attempting to pick-up wounded from C1/12 CAV and two (2) of their crew members had been wounded. Med-Evac #370 contacted C1/12 CAV and asked what their present situation was. They were informed that they were receiving heavy automatic weapons fire and there were at least eight (8) wounded troops to be evacuated. The aircraft commander decided to request gunship support before attempting the evacuation. Learning that no gunship support was available, the aircraft commander informed his crew and asked if they were ready to make the evacuation without gunship support and they responded “Sir, we’re with you, lets go”.

In order to not give the enemy his exact location or his intentions, the aircraft commander decided to not have the ground unit use smoke for LZ location/identification but rather make a high speed, low level pass for visual identification of the LZ. Knowing the approximate location, another low pass was made and the American ground unit was spotted. While making another pass, the ground unit informed Med-Evac #370 that they had flown directly over the enemy position and that enemy fire was coming from the East and North of their location. The aircraft commander flew at tree top level making his approach to the LZ. Once on the ground, the medic jumped out of the aircraft with three litters and ran towards the wounded soldiers. While the wounded were being loaded on the aircraft, the door gunner informed the aircraft commander that he had observed an enemy position but couldn’t fire because of friendly ground troops in the line of fire. Shortly after this observation, the door gunner reported incoming enemy fire hitting the ground towards and near the aircraft. As the next wounded soldier was being loaded on-board, the aircraft commander decided to depart the LZ and return to evacuate the remaining wounded after dropping off the wounded soldiers at LZ Hammond. As the aircraft was departing, the door gunner observed the enemy position on the ground and placed suppressive machine gun fire on the enemy. Med-Evac #370 contacted Med-Evac #916 which had been dispatched from LZ Golf Course to help and was informed of the current situation and that the ground unit still had wounded soldiers for evacuation.

Med-Evac #370 returned to the Suei Cay Valley and orbited the valley but was unable to make contact with the ground forces. The aircraft commander was able to contact C1/12 CAV and asked them to contact A1/12 CAV ground unit and have them contact Med-Evac #916, who was flying in the area, on the Med-Evac radio frequency and they would assist in the evacuation. Med-Evac #370 then returned to C1/12 CAV’s position just as darkness was setting in. As the aircraft landed, the medic once again jumped out of the aircraft and ran towards the wounded troops while the ground unit provided suppressive gun fire. The wounded were loaded in the aircraft without receiving any enemy gun fire. As the aircraft was departing the LZ, they received a Med-Evac evacuation request from C1/8 CAV of an unknown number of causalities. Beings Med-Evac #370 already had an aircraft full of wounded causalities; the aircraft commander informed the ground unit that he would return right after dropping off the wounded at LZ Hammond.

While crossing the pass en route to the Suei Cay Valley, Med Evac #370 was spotted by the C1/8 CAV ground unit and informed the aircraft commander that the last enemy fire that had been received was about 100 meters to the North of their position. They informed Med- Evac #370 that they would use a flash light rather than a ground flare to mark their location due to the close proximity of the enemy. They would turn on the flashlight after they had vectored the aircraft on final approach to the LZ. The first attempt was unsuccessful and the ground unit informed the aircraft commander that the aircraft had passed over their position and they were directly over the enemy ground trenches and to immediately break to the right to avoid enemy fire. Just as the aircraft turned right, it came under heavy enemy gun fire but were able to fly out of harms way. The second approach to the LZ was successful. Once on the ground, the medic quickly loaded the causalities while the ground unit provided suppressive fire. The ground unit informed the aircraft commander to turn 180 degrees and depart back in the direction of the aircraft’s approach to the LZ to avoid the enemy’s gun fire. While returning to LZ Hammond to off load the wounded, B1/12 CAV requested an evacuation of eight (8) wounded causalities.

After re-fueling, Med-Evac #370 immediately returned to the Suei Cay Valley and contacted the B1/12 CAV ground unit. The ground unit said they would identify their location with two flashlights, one red and one white. Spotting the LZ, Med-Evac #370 began their approach to landing but the ground unit radioed “Med-Eva, get out of here, we’re under heavy enemy fire”. Breaking off the approach, the aircraft received heavy automatic weapons fire but was able to gain altitude and orbit the area waiting for the enemy fire to be suppressed by the ground unit. While orbiting the area, Med-Evac #370 was contacted by C1/8 CAV unit that they needed additional causalities evacuated. The aircraft commander informed C1/8 CAV unit that he would make the B1/12 CAV unit evacuation first and then return for their evacuation. After suppressing the enemies fire, B1/12 CAV unit again requested evacuation of their wounded causalities and a successful evacuation was made on the second attempt.

A second Med-Evac aircraft, #866, had been dispatched from LZ Golf Course to assist because Med-Evac #916 had taken enemy gun fire hits while evacuating causalities from A1/12 CAV unit and had to abort their mission. Med-Evac #370 informed Med-Evac # 866 that B1/12 CAV unit was under heavy enemy gun fire at the present time and but was still requesting Med-Evac evacuation. Both Med-Evac #370 and #866 flew to the Suei Cay Valley and made contact with C1/12 CAV unit and were informed that they were still under heavy enemy fire and requested they orbit the area until and wait. The Med-Evac aircraft orbited the area for about 30 minutes when the ground unit informed them that they were receiving sporadic enemy gun fire and that they would provide suppressive fire with M-79 grenade launchers if they wanted to attempt an evacuation. Med-Evac #370 aircraft commander told the ground unit that he would make the first evacuation and make a fast approach beings he had been in the LZ earlier and knew the terrain and #866 would follow. As Med-Evac #370 turned to final approach, the ground unit started their suppressive fire. The aircraft landed and the medic quickly loaded aboard six (6) causalities. The ground unit continued providing suppressive ground fire through out the evacuation. As Med-Evac #370 departed the LZ, Med-Evac #866 flew in and made a successful evacuation. As Med-Evac #370 was flying out of the Suei Cay Valley, a Med-Evac request was received from B1/12 CAV unit. Med-Evac #370 informed the unit that Med-Evac #866 was picking up causalities from B1/2 CAV and had room for some their causalities and that he would return for the remainder.

After unloading the causalities and re-fueling at LZ Hammond, Med-Evac # 370 once again returned to the Suei Cay Valley and contacted B1/8 CAV who informed him that the LZ was secure and there were two (2) wounded and one (1) killed in action (KIA) to evacuate.
The causalities were evacuated without incident and Med-Evac #370 returned to LZ Hammond.

The flight crew of Med-Evac #370 had logged 7.6 hours flight hours evacuating thirty (30) wounded causalities, the four-man (4) crew of downed Med-Evac #577 and its five (5) wounded passengers, one (1) KIA, one (1) Vietnamese, and one (1) Viet Cong (VC).

This happened to be the first day in combat for pilot Warrant Officer Larry Hatch.

[ Return To Index ]

horizontal line


Legend of the Grey Ghost

by Larry Hatch, MAJ USA (RET)

Larry HatchThe following telegram was generated by the Department of Defense (DOD) when I was wounded on April 8th as my Purple Heart Award states. Somehow (DOD) got the information wrong. I was completely unaware of this until late one evening about five years ago I got a call from Gary Roush representing the Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association asking me all these questions about my first tour in Vietnam. When he was sure he was talking to the right person, he asked me if I was aware that my name was engraved on the Vietnam Memorial Wall, panel 17E, line 122, in Washington DC as killed in action on April 8, 1967. To say the least, it was an interesting telephone conversation. He said I was one of 25 individuals identified whose names are erroneously engraved on the wall. Ever since, the kids call me the grey ghost. All the information in the telegram was correct except for my home city was not listed and the State was Minnesota instead of Oregon and of course I was not killed in action. So, if you are ever at the wall, look me up and say hi.


Information on KIA HATCH LARRY G KIA
Status: Died from an incident on 04/08/67.
Home City: *, Minnesota
Service: component of the U.S. Army.
Major organization: 1st Cavalry Division
Service: U.S. Army.
The Wall location: Panel 17E-Line 122
Service number: W3154603
Country: South Vietnam
MOS: 3139
Compliment cause: weapons
Length of service: *
Casualty type: Hostile - killed
Male U.S. citizen
Race: unknown or not reported
Religion: unknown or not reported
The following information secondary, but may help in explaining this incident.
Category of casualty as defined by the Army: battle dead Category of personnel:
Active duty Army Military class: warrant officer

[ Return To Index ]

horizontal line

The Case of the Naked Medevac Crew

by Kevin T Raftery

Kevin RafertyAfter flying to the South China sea for some open water extraction training., we headed back to the "Vinh", for refueling. Since we had gotten very wet during our amphibious assaults on the beach we, as a crew, decided to doff our over-heated Nomax, as catching a cold was against Army regulations. Being the medic onboard, I concluded this action was imperative to the health of the crew.

There we were cruising along while sitting naked in our "combat issued" lawn chairs, when passing in the other direction was a slick with their doors closed . We gave that chopper a wave and a salute with everything we had available.

Upon arriving at POL, we discovered the other slick had pulled a "u-weee" and followed us. There we were, wearing our finest birthday outfits, when that slick's door slid open and there were 3 or 4 Donut Dollies and some high ranking individuals with stars on their lapels. We were told by some newbie REMF. 2LT to get combat ready (put our clothes on) and get rid of our "combat" lawn chairs. The 2nd Louie was even more shocked when he noticed the pilots, looking like Chip n' Dale dancers at the conclusion of their gyrations.

I'm not sure what happened to the pilots, but we had to fly clothed and no chairs from that point on.

[ Return To Index ]

Bottom border for page.